CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, July 3, 2008

Another new Addition




A couple of weeks ago, as my kids and I were driving home from Achievement Days, a neighbor approached us and told us that there was this little lost dog that she had been keeping an eye on, but couldn't any longer as her daughter was afraid of it. I told her that I would be happy to let her run around in our backyard until I could get a hold of Animal Control. The dog was very submissive and thin, and so everyone was concerned that she would get hurt iof left on her own. As luck would have it, Animal Control was closed for the weekend, and the dog would have to stay at our home for the weekend. Bryan and I were very careful to tell the kids not to get too attached as this dog belonged to someone else, and for them to make "Found Dog" signs to post around the neighborhood. The weekend was filled with taking the dog for walks around different areas in an attempt to find the owner, going to PetsMart and Petco and posting signs on their "Lost/Found" board, and posting the "Found Dog" signs that the kids had made all over the neighborhood, and beyond.
When Monday morning came, there was no sign of the dog's (Eliza had started calling her "Chloe") family and so I was finally able to contact Animal Control. I was told that Animal Control woudl have to pick her up and hold her for four days in an attempt to find her owners and also to make sure that she was relatively healthy (you know, no Rabies or things of that sort). If no one came forward to claim her, then our family would be the first on the list to adpot her.
After three days, the girls were so concerned about Chloe, that we took a trip to Animal Control to see what the status was on the situation. As luck would have it, Chloe was in a kennel right at the front and started to howl as soon as she saw the girls and me. We were all so sad for her and that night I spoke to Bryan about Chloe. We decided that we should adopt her, and so the next day, we went and got Chloe and brought her home. We learned from a vet visit that she is about a year and a half old, most likely a Dachund/Jack Russell Terrier mix and just weaned puppies. The vet believed that someone probablly abandoned her when they found out that she was expecting puppies. It made me sad for her again.
So now, Chloe is the newest member of the Brady household and everyone is excited, with the exception of Precious who regularly stares Chloe down, which makes Chloe whimper and run and hide. Like I always say, it may not have been wisdom to name the cat after an evil ring. :)

2 comments:

CAF said...

Congrats! She is cute and looks very sweet. I am jealous. Seriously.

Olivia Meikle said...

As one who has met this dog, I can testify that she is one of the sweetest animals I've come across in a long time.