CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, July 2, 2009

The Pledge of Alliegence

I have volunteered in my children's classrooms since my oldest entered school, and on a recent volunteer day, had the opportunity to say the Pledge of Allegiance with my daughter's kindergarten class. I remember beginning each school day with The Pledge, but I was either too young to understand what I was saying, or had said it so many times that the words had lost meaning. I found myself tearing up as I pledged my allegiance to our flag on that day. I realized that I really mean the words that I state each time I recite The Pledge. I love this country and everything that it stands for. I know that it has its faults, and is far from perfect...but it has never failed me, and I am proud to be an American. I look forward to celebrating this country's birth this week and will cry as I watch the fireworks just like I always do, (and my husband will roll his eyes and say, "Tell me that fireworks really don't make you cry", even though he knows that they do, and always will). I have made a Pledge to the Flag, and to the republic for which it stands. I believe as do many that this is truly one nation under God, and will pray always that it remains indivisible, with liberty and justice for all...as I have pledged to do on countless occasions.

3 comments:

Nicole said...

Glad to know I'm not the only one who cries during fireworks-it gets a little ridiculous at times, but I'm with you. It's the reason we celebrate, not just the big, pretty boom of fireworks. Too many people have given their lives to give us what we have, we should all tear up and remember the "reason for this season." We are one nation under God. Thanks Dena!

Christopher said...

God bless you, Dena. There is a reason men and women risk their lives every day...and I'm glad that more than them understand how amazingly special this place is.

The Munkies said...

only to you will i admit i also cry at fireworks, flags, national anthems, pledge of allegience, and parades. this message will self destruct...